During the Civil War days, Salem Church was born. It was originally located about 5 miles west of what is now know as New Hope. Sometime between 1870 and 1880, New Hope Baptist Church was built on it’s present location. The congregation of Salem became the new Church. Membership started out with about 30 people.
 
In 1881, 21 members joined and went immediately to the water for Baptism. By 1896, there were approx. 45 members in good standing. In 1914, membership had grown to 155 folks. An associational letter dated 10/12/1924 reported 243 members. During those years revival services were held.
 
The first Church building was completed by 1880. In 1905 a new ceiling and floor were added. The Church building was literally “turned around”, and the Santuary as we know it today was completed in 1917. Sunday School rooms were partitioned in 1925. The Church parsonage was added in 1948. The Church was brick-veneered and the educational building was completed in the early 1960’s. A new steeple was erected by 1963. Additional Sunday School rooms, a baptistry and paved parking spaces were added there after.
 
Many different renovations have taken place, with the most significant in recent history being in the summer of 2000 when the Sanctuary was completely reworked, and a playground was added.
 
A drive through covered car port was built in 2002 to aid in inclement weather, and a completely renovated kitchen in the educational building was completed Fall of 2006.
 
The new Family Ministry Center was completed in July of 2008! This facility will offer even greater opportunities for outreach here @ New Hope!  More to follow…